viruses are a group of viruses spread to people from rodents
causing viral hemorrhagic fever. They are transmitted, by
inhaling dried rat faeces (usually from brushing or beating
is no person-to-person transmission and no vaccine exists.
is rare but serious infection with symptoms
of high fever, chills, increased bleeding, and shock and kidney
Hanta Virus Pulmonary Syndrome exists with fluid developing
in the lungs usually in the first 10 days.
This is caused by Sin Nombie virus (Hantavirus family), which
is transmitted by deer mouse (which do not become diseased).
are accidental hosts and risk depends on climate.
mice spread this virus through their urine and faeces.
Peak season is usually May and June.
is throughout the U.S. Other similar diseases are in the Eastern
U.S but different viruses cause these.
- early Influenza type symptoms
- develop ARDS after
- all patients have significant thrombocytopenia
- high hematocrit (sever hemo-concentration)
- immunoblasts, elevated, LDH, hypoxemia (fatality rate 50%
usually in 1st wk)
- clue to Hantavirus
- this will not be seen as an automated CBC
- needs to be reviewed by a lab technologist
- Diagnosis confirmed with serology (Elisa, Western Blot)
- Treatment is supportive only
- Prevention - must focus on avoidance of mouse urine and
feces, abandoned dirty buildings.
Be careful if cleaning these buildings
Hanta virus Links: